By JoAnne Mancini,Keith Bresnahan
Architecture and Armed clash is the 1st multi-authored scholarly booklet to deal with this subject from a comparative, interdisciplinary standpoint. by way of bringing jointly experts from various appropriate fields, and with wisdom of case stories throughout time and house, it presents the 1st artificial physique of analysis at the complicated, multifaceted topic of architectural destruction within the context of conflict.
The ebook addresses numerous particular study questions:
- How has the destruction of structures and landscapes figured in contemporary historic conflicts, and the way have humans and states answered to it?
- How has the destruction of structure been represented in several historic sessions, and to what ends?
- What are the relationships among the destruction of structure and the destruction of artwork, rather iconoclasm?
- If architectural destruction is a salient characteristic of many armed conflicts, how does it characteristic in post-conflict environments?
- What are the relationships among architectural destruction and tactics of recovery, sport or replacement?
Considering a number of conflicts, a number of time classes, and a number of destinations permits this overseas cohort of authors to supply a vital primer for this important subject.
Read or Download Architecture and Armed Conflict: The Politics of Destruction PDF
Similar architecture books
The final word source on options for redeveloping deserted city websites Architects, city planners, city designers, builders, urban officers, and all these drawn to revitalizing their post-industrial towns will locate the instruments they wish right here. Redeveloping business websites grants options to complicated matters bearing on city making plans, layout, and financing to bare classes on how you can effectively convert decaying land and constructions into vivid parks, stimulating cultural locations, and lively advertisement complexes.
"Playing With fireplace: Whining & eating at the Gold Coast" is a voyeur's peek into the loopy international of the eating place tradition. full of vignettes of inauspicious consumers, stressed-out chefs, harried wait employees, and the really disturbed, this publication takes an affectionate romp via Tom Schaudel's eating places to introduce you to the main memorable solid of characters he is skilled in his 40 years within the company.
The Earth’s temperature has been emerging. to restrict catastrophic results, the overseas clinical group has set a not easy target of not more than levels Celsius (3. 6 levels Fahrenheit) typical temperature upward thrust. Economists agree we'll retailer trillions of bucks through performing early. yet how can we act effectively?
A chilling account of the sluggish discomfort of Venice as illustrative of a world consumerist epidemic. Richly documented and imbued with deep angst approximately this preferrred city production. "Philippe de Montebello, former director of the Metropolitan Museum of ArtWhat is Venice worthy? To whom does this city treasure belong?
- The Birth of the Orchestra: History of an Institution, 1650-1815
- Up and Running with Autodesk Navisworks 2015
- Time Frames: Conservation Policies for Twentieth-Century Architectural Heritage
- Purging the Poorest: Public Housing and the Design Politics of Twice-Cleared Communities (Historical Studies of Urban America)
- The Architecture Student's Handbook of Professional Practice
- Up and Running with Autodesk Navisworks 2017
Extra resources for Architecture and Armed Conflict: The Politics of Destruction